Sunday, September 8, 2013

8 September 2011 - There's No Place Like A New Home

On 8 September 2011, Juventus opened their new stadium by drawing 1-1 with English third tier side Notts County.

Built over a period of two and a half years at a construction cost of €120 million, Juventus Stadium is the latest in a string of home grounds for the Bianconeri, including the Stadio Olimpico (where thet played from 1933 to 1990 and again from 2006 to 2011) and the Stadio delle Alpi (1990-2006). To mark the occasion, they invited Notts County for a friendly.

The invitation was a nod to the significant role Notts County had already played in Juventus history. In 1903, when the Italians were looking to replace their existing pink shirts, team member John Savage contacted a friend back in England who sent a shipment of Notts County's black and white striped shirts that have since become a Juventus trademark.

The match itself did not go according to plan for the hosts, who took a 1-0 lead with a Luca Toni goal in the 53rd minute, only to concede a strike from Lee Hughes with only three minutes left. Still, the move turned out to have a positive effect on the team, who went on to have an undefeated season in Serie A to win their first league title since 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment