The game was in the first round of the League Cup. It ended 1-1 after extra time, forcing a penalty shootout that Carlisle won 4-3. Since then, however, Bradford have won an English-record nine straight shootouts. Although they were in League Two for all of them, their wins include a couple of upsets over Premier League teams Wigan and Arsenal.
- 2-2 (3-2) over Notts County in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on 6 October 2009;
- 2-2 (5-4) over Port Vale in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on 10 November 2009;
- 0-0 (3-1) over Sheffield Wednesday in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on 30 August 2011;
- 2-2 (4-3) over Huddersfield the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on 4 October 2011;
- 1-1 (6-5) over Sheffield United in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on 8 November 2011;
- 0-0 (3-2) over Hartlepool in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on 9 October 2012;
- 0-0 (4-2) over Wigan in the League Cup on 30 October 2012;
- 3-3 (4-2) over Northampton in the FA Cup on 13 November 2012; and
- 1-1 (3-2) over Arsenal in the League Cup on 11 December 2012.
Now in League One, Bradford hopes to continue the streak, which remains an active English record.